Alternating showers are a booster for our immune system. So you never get sick and can enjoy online casino new zealand real money at all times. We tell you why you should make it your daily habit and explain how to do it.
HOW ALTERNATING SHOWERS WORK ON YOUR BODY
An alternating shower has numerous positive effects on our body: it promotes blood circulation, is a good wake-up call in the morning and can even prevent varicose veins. In the cold season, it strengthens our immune system and can prevent colds. Alternating showers are also an effective remedy for numerous ailments, as they help with:
- chronic colds
- difficulty falling asleep
- immune deficiency
- poor circulation
- low blood pressure
- tension headaches
- physical and mental exhaustion
The effect is based on the same principle as Kneipp applications. The alternating cold and warm stimuli cause our blood vessels to constrict and dilate. The capillaries are exercised and your circulation gets going. It’s worth the effort, because after an alternating shower you’ll be rewarded with a refreshed and warmed-up feeling.
SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS FOR ALTERNATING SHOWERS
You can take alternating showers every day.
Alternating showers can be easily integrated into your daily routine. Here’s how to do it:
- Shower with warm water for two to three minutes.
- Then set the water temperature to a much lower level. Run the spray from your right heel, up your calf and the back of your knee to your buttocks. Repeat the process on your left leg.
- Cold shower your right arm from your fingertips along the outside of your arm to your shoulders. Repeat the process on the left arm.
- Then you can briefly cold shower your back, abdomen and chest.
Recover under warm water for two to three minutes, then repeat steps two through four.
The alternating shower ends with cold water, so: warm/cold, warm/cold. You should always start from the right foot, because this point of our body is farthest from the heart. The optimal duration of application is ten minutes. After that it is important to warm up your body again.
HAVING A COLD SHOWER AND WHY IT IS SO HEALTHY
- Immune defense: A Dutch study was able to confirm that cold showers strengthen the immune defense: Among the test persons, there were about 30 percent fewer cases of illness compared to the control group. The reason for this is that the cold stimulus mobilizes the white blood cells (leukocytes). These fight invading bacteria and viruses in the body.
- Brown adipose tissue: This particular adipose tissue is mainly found in infants. In exceptional cases, it may still be present in adults. Regular cold shock activates the so-called brown adipose tissue in the body. Unlike white adipose tissue, this does not accumulate as flab on the hips, but actually burns excess fat, thus helping to lose weight. This is because the brown adipose tissue contains many mitochondria, in which glucose and fatty acids are converted into heat. This is how the body protects itself from freezing.
- Inflammation: When the body is exposed to cold, it releases adrenaline. This has a vasoconstrictor effect and inhibits inflammatory factors.
- Depression: A University of Virginia study has shown that cold showers can be helpful for depressive symptoms. Among other things, exposure to the cold activates the nerve areas in the brain that are responsible for sympathy and feelings of happiness.
ALTERNATING FOOT BATH: NATURAL HELP FOR COLD FEET
Put on thick woolen socks after an alternating foot bath.
The best remedy for chronically cold feet are alternating foot baths. They also have a relaxing and hardening effect.
For the application you need two bowls. Fill one with warm water and the other with cold water. The procedure is simple:
- Place a comfortable chair (perhaps with a cushion) in front of the bowls and sit down so that your legs can dangle in the water without touching the floor.
- Bathe your feet in warm water for five minutes at first.
- Switch to cold water for 30 seconds.
- Repeat the process once.
- Do not dry your feet, but wipe the cold water off your feet.
- Put on thick wool socks.
Alternating foot baths can be done as often as you like. However, to benefit from the positive effect, you should do them at least twice a week.