However, there is no evidence to suggest that CBD can be used to keep dogs warm in the winter. Dog sweater, on the other hand, can be a useful tool to help keep dogs warm in the winter. Short-haired breeds and small dogs are particularly susceptible to the cold and may benefit from wearing a sweater or jacket.
You might be wondering whether your dog or cat can still enjoy the effects of CBD safely. And with the growing popularity of CBD products, you shouldn’t be surprised to find one for your pet.
But can you give CBD to your pet? Is it safe to do so? Do CBD products work for pets?
If you really love your pet, you must think twice about anything you give it. So, forget the marketing hype. Here’s all you need to know about CBD for pets.
Can You Give CBD to Your Pet?
Yes. CBD is a natural supplement acquired from the hemp plant that offers benefits to both humans and pets.
Because just like humans, pets have an endocannabinoid system, which is essential in many physiological processes. Therefore, CBD will work in your pet’s body just the way it does in a person’s body.
But before giving CBD to your furry friend, there are a few factors you need to consider—for instance, the type of CBD product best for pets and dosage, among others.
What Can CBD Do to Your Pet?
CBD in pets works exactly the same way as in humans. Therefore, the effects are almost similar to those of humans. However, CBD products for pets are still new in the veterinary space. So, we cannot affirm what CBD can and cannot do from a medical perspective.
Remember, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA)) is yet to approve the use of CBD entirely. Therefore, we are still relying on studies from various sources. As a result, we can’t affirm that CBD is safe for your pet.
But generally, CBD has shown promise in addressing various issues in pets, including;
- Pain management: CBD may help alleviate pain and discomfort linked to conditions like injuries, arthritis, and surgery recovery. Studies reveal that over 80% of dogs with osteoarthritis record a decrease in pain, making them more active and comfortable.
- Anxiety and stress reduction: If your pet suffers anxiety, especially during fireworks, thunderstorms, or after it’s separated from the owner, CBD may help calm the nervousness.
- Seizures and epilepsy: CBD may help minimize the frequency and severity of seizures in epileptic pets.
- Minimize inflammation: If your dog or cat has inflammatory conditions like allergies or inflammatory bowel disease, CBD’s inflammatory properties can help.
- Appetite stimulation: Is your pet not eating well? If so, perhaps CBD might help stimulate the appetite so your dog or cat starts eating well.
Will CBD Get Your Pet High?
Many people confuse CBD with THC. This is why they are worried about their pets getting the “high” or “euphoric” effect after taking cannabidiol.
However, CBD can never get you or your pet “high” because it’s non-intoxicating. However, it may influence your pet’s brain activity, leading to potential benefits like stress and anxiety reduction.
How Do You Give CBD to Your Pet?
You don’t expect your dog to smoke or vape CBD as you would, right? Also, your skin and your pet’s differ. Therefore, topical CBD application will also be different.
Therefore, it’s important to understand how to give CBD to your pet the right way.
There are various CBD forms for pets. Here’s how they work;
- CBD oils or tinctures for pets: These are administered by placing drops of oil under your pet’s tongue or mixing them with your pet’s food. You can do this using a measured dropper, allowing for proper dosage. However, the oil or tincture may leak from the pet’s mouth. Plus, some just don’t love the taste of plant material extract.
- CBD treats and chews: The easiest way to give CBD to your pet is through treats. This works, especially if your dog or cat loves treats. Since treats and chews are usually tasty, they are easier to administer. However, you won’t have much control over dosage, as you would with CBD oil.
- CBD capsules for pets: Is your pet a picky eater or doesn’t like the taste of CBD oil? If so, you might want to try giving your pet CBD in a capsule or pill form. You can place it directly into your pet’s mouth or in a fun treat. Plus, pills and capsules are easy to carry around and less messy. The downside is that it’s difficult to adjust the dosing.
- CBD topical products for pets: You can choose to apply CBD products directly to your pet’s skin. This method works because your pet has cannabinoid receptors under its skin. However, ensure you apply the topical CBD product to a non-haired or shaved area on your pet’s skin. Also, ensure the pet doesn’t lick the area.
Getting the Right CBD Product for Your Pet
With the many CBD products on the market, finding the right one for your pet can seem daunting. However, it will be easier if you know what to look for. Here are some tips to help you find the right CBD product for your pet.
- Go organic: It’s important to ensure your CBD oil for pets is organic. You can click here to purchase our organic CBD oil for pets. If not, ensure it doesn’t contain fungicides, pesticides, or solvents.
- Get the liquid form: The easiest and most effective way to administer CBD to your pet is in its liquid form (CBD oil or tinctures). This also gives you complete control over dosing, allowing you to adjust as needed.
- Understand your pet’s needs: Before buying a CBD product, examine and understand their health and wellness needs. For instance, CBD oil may be perfect for a dog or cat experiencing anxiety.
- Speak to your pet’s veterinarian: This should be the first step when considering giving your pet CBD. This is important, particularly if your pet has pre-existing medical conditions or is taking other medications.
Are you ready to introduce your pet to CBD? We hope you now understand everything about CBD for pets. It’s safe to give CBD to your cat or dog, and you can do it orally or topically. However, ensure you get the right CBD product for your pet. Also, get your veterinarian’s approval before introducing your pet to CBD.